How to talk and how to listen –
Today I am going to meet some new people and honestly, I am bit scared about how things are going to turn out and how I am going to converse with them. So I decided to browse through internet to get some tips on how to converse with people.
I found a very interesting video on Ted talks that I am sharing.
Celeste Headlee has shared 10 points on ‘How to talk and listen to people’. According to her, if we master even 1 out of these 10 points, we can have great conversation with people.
Here are those 10 points summarized –
- Don’t multitask, be present in that moment. Pay attention.
- Don’t pontificate. Don’t say something that’s going to offend the other person.
- Use open ended question – Who? When? How? What? Let other’s describe.
- Go with the flow.
- If you don’t know something, say you don’t know. Talk should not be cheap.
- Don’t equate your experience. It is not about you.
- Try not to repeat.
- People don’t care about the details like date, time, place, someone’s name.
- Listen to understand, don’t listen to reply.
- Be brief and be more interested in others.
She concludes the video by saying every person is interesting and is going to amaze you is some way or the other. So when we meet new people, be prepared to be amazed!
I am going to try these points today and if everything goes fine, you might read about it on my blog 😀
Wish me luck!!